[postgis-devel] Unknown SRID (Was: #1223: Unknown SRID to NULL)

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Sep 30 10:51:38 PDT 2011

What compatibility reasons do we have that are any worse than the others we
have had?

For example PostGIS 2.0 --  We got rid of all those functions, we changed
our index types.  Those all broke a lot of tools some fixed some not.  We
survived.  Everyone survived without too much grumbling.

1) Dealling with SRID -1 is even less minor because few people that care to
do transforms use them and when you are not doing transforms, the srid is
rarely used for anything but display anyway.
Most apps that use it do it out of ignorance or because they are tracking
non-GIS things.

2) Not allowing negative SRIDs in our typmod gives us more space to store
other things and if we don't store it that way on earth would we output it
that way.

3) OGC compliance
4) If apps are really concerned about supporting both 2.0 and prior versions
-- what's wrong with anything < 1 is unknown?  Works for both 1.5 and 2.0

Strk -- your null idea is very unappealing.  If I were expecting a number
and I got  a NULL back that I think will break a lot more things than
returning -1 e.g you can't glue it
If you tried to do ST_SRID() || ST_ASText  --- you get NULL back.  Very
scary.

.  Besides I am not aware
Of any spatial spec that dictates NULL so its going from one iconoclasm to
another.  Remember we are trying to conform.  Yah it means missing or
whatever -- but no spatial database does that
Or respects that notion of SRID.What happens when I export the data to
another spatial database like SQL Server that expects 0.

  5) Guys we've been planning this for how many years?  I knew it was going
to happen two years ago - many other people were waiting and asking why it
hadn't happened in 2.0 already.  Some people I have talked to were happy
about the conformance.  I didn't here any complains except from Hobu.  Why
are we breaking our promise of changing.
Why this sudden want to backout and after we already did half the work and
changed our tests?

Thanks,
Regina