[postgis-users] Error creating GIST indexes in Cygwin 7.2.1

Obe, Regina DND\MIS robe.dnd at ci.boston.ma.us
Tue May 14 07:34:44 PDT 2002

I think someone ran into a similar problem, but not sure if the issue has
been resolved yet.

I recently upgraded my Cygwin PostGreSQL 7.1 to 7.2.1 and all seemed to be
working fine until I tried to create a GIST index on one of my geometry
fields.

I tried both of the following syntax

CREATE INDEX [indexname] ON [tablename] USING GIST ( [geometryfield]
GIST_GEOMETRY_OPS );

As well as
CREATE INDEX [indexname] ON [tablename] USING GIST ( [geometryfield]  );

Both gave the same error
ERROR:  MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 0
I was successful creating gist indexes on one table though
The one that was successful was a geometry field of type MULTIPOINT.
The one that failed was a geometry field of type MULTIPOLYGON.
However I must note that I tried creating the index on a table that had ~
150,000 records in it and if I delete all the records and then try to create
the GIST index, the index creation is successful.
After creating the index on the empty table and then trying to populate it
from a .sql load file,   it inserts merrily but then breaks I think after
inserting 1/3 of the records.
Error it gives is
psql:landparcels.sql:55338: NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
        I have rolled back the current transaction and am
        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
psql:landparcels.sql:55338: server closed the connection unexpectedly
        before or while processing the request.
psql:landparcels.sql:55338: connection to server was lost

So I am assuming its a particular record or set of records that is causing
the problem.