[postgis-users] PostGIS Usage Survey

Lowther, David W dlowther at ou.edu
Tue Feb 4 06:20:05 PST 2003

> - Name of the organization

Geo Information Systems - University of Oklahoma

> - Data being managed in the database

Cadastral, Roads, Bridges, Signs

> - How the data is being accessed / manipulated

Data are input to the PostGIS DB using SHP2PGSQL.

All data access is via Mapserver. Shapefiles are used for static layers,
PostGIS is used for queried layers. Long term plans are to use PostGIS and
associated tools to build shapefile downloads for users based on their
mapextent.

> - Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

PostGIS was chosen to house the layers for Mapserver based application where
simple expressions just wouldn't do. Obviously the tight Mapserver support
was key, but also the PostGRES SQL capabilities (like outer joins) were
equally important. We are also very interested in the long term goals of
OpenGIS compliance and SQL specs. FREE is also a huge deal as is the support
of the community (including the documentation).