[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS?

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Mon May 2 04:21:18 PDT 2005

Hi, Paul,

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> The time has come again for my annual query of our list. The last time I
> asked this, about a year and a half ago, there were ~260 people on the
> list. This time, there are ~600 people. So by one metric at least we are
> growing quickly in numbers. We also have ~1200 source code downloads a
> month these days, up from ~350.

Great!

> If you could say in your response, at a minimum:
>
> - Name of the organization

Logical Tracking and Tracing International AG

> - Data being managed in the database

Tracking and Tracing information from our customers for storage and
processing as well as the NavteQ data for visualization / map rendering.

> - How the data is being accessed / manipulated

It is mostly accessed via the PostGIS JDBC driver, but we have some
libpqxx and ODBC applications, too. For manipulation, the postgis
functions as well as jts and home brown code are used.

> - Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

Paying 60k$ per CPU for competitors that do forbid both benchmarking and
code manipulation will be more expensive in the long term than having a
bunch of developers hacking and tuning the free solution from time to time.

> And also for our edification and strategic planning:
> - What PostGIS feature or PostGIS-related software (not necessarily
> internal to PostGIS) would make your life much easier/better?

Currently, PostGIS seems to fit our needs, and we'll try to hack and
contribute the necessary changes if we need some.

Markus