[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS?

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Thu May 5 21:44:13 PDT 2005

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> If you could say in your response, at a minimum:
>
> - Name of the organization

       Fulton County, Georgia

> - Data being managed in the database

      primary version stored in PostGIS
          Zoning, Parcels, Address Points, Landuse, Elevation Samples,
          LRS and modelled addresses for streets,  City Limits, Zip Code
Bdy, Sewer AM/FM,  ....
     version cached from another primary source
          Geometry for streets, contours, impervious surface polygons,
Structure shapes, ....

     specifically for streets the geometry is maintained in ESRI SDE to
make use of snapping and
     topology constraints.  Regular snapshots are made and address
ranges, zip codes, feature class,
     and other support info is added in PostGIS due to the ease of SQL
scripting.  The public
     extracts for analysis are made from the completed product.

> - How the data is being accessed / manipulated

        UMN Mapserver, Arcview 3.x,  ArcGis 9.x, autodesk Mapguide,
autodesk Autocad, uDIG,  JUMP,  QGIS, ....
        Backend queries for Permit Tracking.  such as
              based on a Parcel ID
                    is it within 50ft of a stream
                    is it inside a 100 yr floodplain
                    what are all of the zoning classes within the parcel
                    what city is it in
                    what inspection zon is it in

> - Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

      Ability to have a fine grained control over datasets.  The
datasets work the way we want them to.
      Ability to build custom data handling routines
      Ability to build analytical datasets as mixtures of other datasets ie
           strong use of views
           scripted consruction of derivative datasets
                automatically adding fire response left and fire
response right to each street segment for 911 extracts
                adding zipcode and city code automatically

> And also for our edification and strategic planning:
>
> - What PostGIS feature or PostGIS-related software (not necessarily
> internal to PostGIS) would make your life much easier/better?

      OLEDB OGISDataProvider support  as a bolt on to pgoledb  (Autocad,
ArcGIS, .... )

      Coordinated support for functions that act on many tuples at one time
           DGlib would be such and animal
           as would Linear Referencing System Support

      GPL'ed scripting contributions area on postgis.refractions.net

> Thanks so much!
>
> Paul

    Thanks for the