[postgis-users] HTML Mails

Mark Fenbers Mark.Fenbers at noaa.gov
Thu May 19 04:47:13 PDT 2005

Gino, you make good points!

However, this is an e-mail list, not a Usenet Newsgroup bulletin board.
This means that to participate in the requested fashion, one would need
to turn off the HTML formatting for each individual message sent to this
post (and leave it one for all the other e-mail we send throughout the
day).  Do all mail clients have this capability and do all users know
how to exploit this capability?  And would we remember to do it each
time?  Some companies and gov't agencies encourage, if not require, HTML
messages for their correspondence.  The advantage of a USENET Newsgroup
is that the e-mail client can automatically prevent HTML for this
account and allow it for normal e-mail correspondence.  Another
significant advantage of newsgroup postings is that ISP's are less
likely to get peaved over so many messages in customers' Inboxes.  (I
just got a general "please, clean-up" message from my ISP this
morning.)  And as much as I enjoy you folks (compared to other
newsgroups with noticeably less manners), there are time spans when I'm
not working with PostgreSQL/PostGIS projects and don't want to be forced
to delete, read, or filter the messages.  For these reasons, I would
like to see this group be moved to a USENET (or preferably, an RSS group).

Mark