[postgis-users] Units in function parameters

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 00:37:43 PST 2006

> Are the units for radius in the function point_inside_circle(PointGeom,
> X, Y, Radius) the same as the X, Y units or are they related to the
> projected units of the geometry's SRS? I notice in the docs that units
> are seldom specified for functions so I'm wondering if I just missed
> some general explanation of units in parameters.  Would someone please
> clarify this?

Units are those of X and Y, so depending on your data.
There is no implicit transformation of units.
Postgis makes its computation in a cartesian space, except for
distance_sphere and distance_spheroid.
(for instance, if your data are lat long, point_inside_circle radius
value will be in degrees)

Nicolas