[postgis-users] Adding Spatial Index to Existing Table

Adam adam at spatialsystems.org
Fri Dec 29 11:08:45 PST 2006

This is my first try at adding spatial to my table.  Currently I have a 'Lat' and 'Long' columns that have my Latitiude and Longitude.

Do I need to add another column named 'Location' and insert each rows 'Lat' and 'Long' into the corresponding 'Location' row by doing:  "INSERT INTO table ( Location ) VALUES ( GeometryFromText('Point xx.xxx yy.yyyy', 4326) )" ?  This will assume WGS 84 datum.

Is this right?