[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Hernán De Angelis hernan.deangelis at glocalnet.net
Thu Jul 13 14:41:33 PDT 2006

>      Who are you?
Hernán De Angelis, Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology,
Stockholm University, Sweden

>      What are you using PostGIS for?
Storage and analysis of glaciological and palaeoglaciological features.

>      Why did you choose PostGIS?
Because it is powerful, reliable, flexible, stable and free.

>      What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
I can access databases from several free GIS applications, perl scripts and
the command line.

>      What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
Nothing about PostGIS in itself, but has to do with it anyway: there are still
few free GIS applications providing a fully implemented on-screen digitizing
environment for PostGIS.

In my particular case, for example, I usually digitize features that I
interpret on satellite imagery. Therefore, I need a GIS application that is
able to display images, with the posibility of applying enhancements, and at
the same time allows to directly digitize in PostGIS. As far as I know the
only free application that is able to do that is gvSIG, although it is still
in an early stage of development. uDig is good for digitizing but it doesn't
display big satellite images. Another good alternative, QGIS, has very basic
digitizing tools and displays images, but it is unable of applying
enhancements (on grey scales). So, until now I am forced to digitize in
shapefile format or GRASS and then exporting to PostGIS. I will be glad when
an application like gvSIG or similar reaches a more advanced stage where it
is possible to do production work.