[postgis-users] projection management

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Mar 27 20:53:08 PDT 2007

> Thanks for the reply, that clarifies matters nicely.  I think I'm
> understanding also that setsrid(the_geom, the_srid) rolls that srid
> right into the binary representation of the geometry.  I wonder if it
> might be desirable/possible in a future version, then, to have
> astext(the_geom) output the srid along with the text representation of
> the geometry.

I believe WKT is defined by the OGC, as part of the SFS spec that PostGIS
complies with. EWKT was created to address this limitation of the WKT format.
It is not likely that OGC will revise the SFS/WKT spec, so it is also unlikely
that PostGIS will modify the string returned by WKT.

So if you require a SRID in the output, use EWKT instead of WKT.

Standards are usually a good thing :-)

Cheers

   Brent