[postgis-users] OSG-SD 2008 - Call for PostGIS presenters / trainers

dnrg dananrg at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 02:22:43 PST 2008

I've just gotten word that San Diego State University
has graciously committed to hosting OSG-SD 2008 - the
Open Source GIS San Diego gathering, to be held two
separate evenings sometime betwen August 3rd and
August 7th.

Would anyone here be interested in presenting on
PostGIS -- or better yet, conducting training / a
workshop?

Should be a much larger event this year--we're looking
into getting access to computer labs to offer free
workshops. The event itself has no admission cost. And
with no budget, we unfortunately can't pay anyone.

This is an event I helped put together two years ago,
coincident with another popular GIS conference. One
purpose of the event is to serve as an alternative for
those who can't afford to attend FOSS4G.

The theme is free open source complements to
commercial GIS. And I think the reality is that most
people use a mix of open and closed source products.
Best tool for the job within organizational and
financial constraints.

Here's what James Fee said about OSG-SD:

OSG-SD 2006
http://www.spatiallyadjusted.com/2006/08/09/on-the-open-source-gis-san-diego-gathering/

There was another OSG-SD in 2007. I wasn't able to
attend:

OSG-SD 2007
http://www.spatiallyadjusted.com/2007/06/11/open-source-gis-san-diego-gathering-osg-sd-is-a-go/

We've just started planning, so there's no place to
sign-up for announcements, etc. Hoping to put together
a small web site for the event where people can
register. People interested in presenting may contact
me here: dananrg at yahoo.com.

Please pass this on to relevant places. We're looking
for presenters / trainers in other FOSS GIS
technologies. It would be great to provide training on
MapServer and Quantum GIS. It's a small conference and
we can't cover all the bases.

If we get enough interest from attendees and
presenters, the event may have two tracks--beginner
and advanced--with some "all in" talks, combining both
tracks.

We'll see what happens.

I'm hoping to put an online pre-conf survey to tailor
content to potential attendee interest.

Dana