[postgis-users] Geocoding cross streets?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon Nov 28 14:08:00 PST 2011

It doesn't geocode cross streets or if it is its share accident.  I think
what it's doing is just picking the first one most likely so you are getting
at the beginning of a street with that name and it's ignoring the second
street at best.

The cross streets feature takes a different algorithm.  We do have that
coded as a sub process in one of our projects, but it's not committed in
tiger geocoder.  Feel free to post a ticket under tiger_geocoder
if you are interested  in seeing it incorporated into tiger geocoder.

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/

Right now what we have can be relatively easily incorporated in tiger
geocoder to be a function of the form:

geocode_intersection(roadway1, roadway2, city, state, zip)

Would that work for you?  I would hesitate to try to merge into the existing
geocode function since I'm not sure how much unnecessary processing that
would add if people know they aren't dealing with cross street addresses.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina
http://www.postgis.us

  _____