[postgis-users] shp2pgsql importing WITH OIDS

Steve Grey stevegrey78 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 08:03:00 PST 2007

Hi all,

I know there have been postings before on the subject, but I could really
really do with a command line switch in shp2pgsql, such as -o.

I have no option but to use oids - I'm loading so Cadcorp GIS can read the
layers, but they need to be a) in the geometry_columns table and b) defined
WITH OIDS to be visible.

At present I'm loading without OIDS, recreating the table with another name,
copying across and recreating indexes etc. - in other words doing twice the
work.

Whilst I do appreciate OIDS are deprecated, PostgreSQL allows to backup and
restore with oids and tables can still be created WITH OIDS or the default
setting changed - and checking during a restore all that happens is WITH
OIDS is put into a copy statement when restoring from a .backup file.

Your thoughts please!

Thanks,

Steve