[postgis-users] shp2pgsql importing WITH OIDS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Dec 4 09:31:20 PST 2007

At this point I would be more interested in changing the behavior of
SIS than changing the behavior of PostGIS. OIDs are deprecated so we
should not be moving to *improve* our support of them at this late
date. SIS can follow the lead of Mapserver, and uDig and look for a
defined primary key in the PgSQL system tables instead of the OID,
and disable editing for layers that do not have a primary key.

(And BTW, mea culpa for ever using them in a client application in
the first place, I'm sure even back in 2001 the PgSQL developers
would have warned against doing so. By using them in Mapserver way
back then we set a terrible precedent for all the application
developers that came afterwards and templated on that development
pattern.)

Paul